Friday, July 26, 2013

New Developments

Since I tried to defend fishing, my friend and colleague at Hopkins, Adam, has been vigorously defending the fish.  Beginning with some very challenging comments he posted on my first entry, he and I have been in near constant dialogue for about a week now.  I have learned a lot from talking with him.  In particular, I've realized that I was wrong about a few things, and that there are several issues I still need to address before I can feel good about fishing.  In a way that's a bummer because I'm really enjoying all the fishing I've been doing, but it's also really great because this sort of helpful feedback and criticism is precisely what I was hoping I might be able to get by publishing some of my thoughts.  Thanks to Adam for that.  And for that matter, thanks more generally to everyone else who has been reading and talking to me about my post.  I have really enjoyed it so far, and I sincerely hope for more of the same in the future.

Anyway, I've invited Adam to collect together some of the ideas he's put forward in our discussions over the last few days and post them as a guest author.  He's already put something together and should post it sometime soon.  I thought that would be a good thing for a couple of reasons.  First, if you're really interested in this issue, I think you'll find it helpful to look at Adam's comments, since he defends a position very different from the one I suggested in my last post.  And second, Since I've come to feel that my views need to be revised in light of his comments, I'm considering writing a follow-up post where I try to deal with some of the issues he brings up.  If I do that, it will be helpful for anyone interested to be able to refer to his comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment